Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Nine Two Eleven

What can you accomplish in ten hours a week? What if you tried to find out? That is my plan. I want to see how long it takes me to launch a new web site working on it from 9:00 - 11:00pm five nights a week. Here is my expected schedule:
  • 9 -5 work to pay the bills
  • 5 - 9 enjoy my family
  • 9 - 11 do something different
It is highly likely I won't actually work at doing something different as often as I plan but I need to start somewhere so that is what I'll start with.

I have been trying to come up with something to work on and so far the favorite idea is a fairly simple web site. Two items will be displayed and one can be voted for to determine the winner each day. The day's winner will be sent out via Twitter and can be viewed on the site. Simple.

Supply List

Data store to hold the items and the votes
Ability to track who voted
Scheduled process to calculate the winner
Some kind of broadcast

I will try and explain the decisions I make when selecting tools to use in the project. So far I am leaning toward being a SpringSource fanboy and developing a Grails application for Cloud Foundry using STS. Follow along and see if I change my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment