Wednesday, June 20, 2012

First Thoughts on the New Project

I have been experimenting with STS and Grails 2.0.4 for one week now. The initial idea was to spend two hours a night five nights a week. The first thing I learned is Monday through Thursday spending two hours at something that feels like work is all right. Friday night I didn't feel like it but I thought Sunday night made more sense anyway. Sunday night I didn't feel like it either. So I am not sure if five nights a week is really going to happen.

Quick Hits


  • If you want to use Groovy Eclipse in STS don't install STS in the Program Files directory.
  • STS is easy to move if you need to, just drop the folder somewhere else.
  • H2 has a console and Grails makes it available in the dev environment (grails dev run-app).
  • You can add an environment to the STS menu commands using Run > Run Configurations...

STS Run Configurations dialog box.
  • Pressing Ctrl+Shift+Alt+G brings up a Grails command prompt.
  • When running in dev use  http://localhost:8080/{appname}/dbconsole to get to the console.
  • The default JDBC URL is jdbc:h2:mem:devDb and Password is blank.
H2 Console login page.
I did write a very small amount of code. Small amounts of code is one of the reasons I really enjoy Grails. One domain class, scaffold controller with two additional actions, taggable plugin, one template, six lines added to the show view and the result is some jQuery fun.




No comments:

Post a Comment